[Tfug] [OT] Thinking about getting an online degree

Eric Gearhart eric at nixwizard.net
Sat Dec 27 10:22:38 MST 2008

I know this is off topic for a *nix list, so sorry if that grinds your
gears... if anything let "auld lang syne" in a couple of days :)
(woohoo Wikipedia says I got the spelling right on that one first
shot)

I'm looking to expand my possibilities career-wise. I get the feeling
that I'm only going to get so far just with certifications and
experience... eventually I'm gonna be 40 and I think by that point I'd
want to be "Director of Something" or some kind of managerial role...
not necessarily completely outside being a tech, but "in charge of the
thing" so to speak. Honestly I wouldn't mind having my old boss from
DakotaCom's job... he's a manager (Director of Technology) but also
gets his "hands dirty" configuring equipment and throws in
troubleshooting input when he has something to add.

I'm thinking about going to an online college (*NOT* a diploma mill...
I'm only considering colleges that are regionally accredited). An Army
buddy of mine had recommended TUI University (http://tuiu.edu),
because they're military friendly and you don't have to buy expen$ive
books - all the course content is mailed to you on CD.

Does anyone have any input? Been to TUI University? Loved/Hated/U of
Phoenix? Other experiences for online college... etc...?

I suspect that a lot of TFUGers have college degrees.

--
Eric
http://nixwizard.net