[Tfug] Well it's back to Ubuntu...

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Wed Dec 24 12:38:51 MST 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 12:31:33PM -0700, Brian Vogel wrote:
> Dependency tracking aside as I agree aptitude is better then apt-get at
> this.  I find aptitude to be a waste of time.  The interface is cumbersome
> and annoying to me personally.  I'd much rather "apt-cache search
> --names-only foo" then start up aptitude and deal with the (again in my
> opinion) horrid interface.  To note I'm of the same opinion about all other
> GUI and ncurses interfaces.  apt-get, yum, emerge thatss my game.

Are you aware that aptitude is a near drop-in replacement for apt-get?
E.g., aptitude update && aptitude upgrade does the exact same thing as
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.  It also integrates apt-cache
functionality.

You get the ncurses interface if and only if you start aptitude
without an args.

Claude