[Tfug] Stored settings

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 12:20:39 MST 2008

Hi,

Aside from "space efficiency" -- and some *trivial*
performance (parsing) efficiencies -- I can't see why
any "settings" should not be "stored" (maintained?) in
human readable form.

E.g.,

EraseBootDriveOnPowerUp = Never
FontServer = 10.0.1.71

vs.

EraseBootDriveOnPowerUp = 3
FontServer = 0x0A000147

Of course, doing so presents I18N issues (but, those can
be worked around).

Also, it seems like it is "better" to have the presentation
of these settings in this form *without* the assistance (or
even PRESENCE!) of the application(s) which support them.

So, are there any other reasons why you might opt for the
"easy way out" (non-human-readable forms)?

Thx,
--don