[Tfug] Smoke detectors for the deaf > Developing apps for the Linux desktop.

Jesse Allen jesse.carl at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 10:52:01 MST 2008

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 11:38:14PM -0700, Jeffry Johnston wrote:
> I've installed Ubuntu Linux for the brave ones of my friends and
> family.  Just like in Windows, they never install the updates (well my
> dad has started to).  So far the biggest complaints have been with
> printing (and setting up printers), and wireless (although I was very
> impressed with the wireless support in Intrepid, didn't have to do
> anything to set it up after install).

In setting up Ubuntu on a system for my parents' house, I just made a
simple shell script and a cron job to perform and log the updates (I
can't remember if I set up a logrotate though). I did have a little
trouble setting up the printer on the parallel port, but it works
decently now. The USB printer was cake to set up -- probably easier than
Windows.

- Jesse