[Tfug] Smoke detectors for the deaf > Developing apps for the Linux desktop.

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Fri Dec 5 23:38:14 MST 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Jesse Allen <jesse.carl at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Ease of use (including most `driver problems') -- for much of the
> history of linux, the learning curve has been prohibitively steep. It
> has only been in the last couple of years that distributions have
> become easy enough for the ``average'' user to run, let alone install
> linux. I would argue that this issue is no longer a roadblock, even if
> there is still much work to be done.

As far as using the system once it is set up, yes.  But installation
is a mystery to people.. although the same can be said of Windows.. so
whatever.  The confusing part for people is the partitioning of
course, the rest is easy.

I've installed Ubuntu Linux for the brave ones of my friends and
family.  Just like in Windows, they never install the updates (well my
dad has started to).  So far the biggest complaints have been with
printing (and setting up printers), and wireless (although I was very
impressed with the wireless support in Intrepid, didn't have to do
anything to set it up after install).

Jeff