[Tfug] wxWidgets

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 13:02:54 MST 2008

Hi, Jeremy,

--- On Sat, 8/30/08, Jeremy D Rogers <jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu> wrote:

> I started playing with wx a few years ago and that project stalled.
> The docs are sparse (or were a few years ago), but the examples for
> wxpython are awesome. I think the nicest cross-platform out there in
> wx is bitpim. If you are on Debian, aptitude install wx2.8-examples
> and run the example app. It shows a lot of the features and might
> help. However, since I kind of stalled on it, I probably can't answer
> how it suits your needs. I also don't have any experience with others
> to compare to, but I had looked at alternatives, and it seemed like
> choices were limited. I remember something with Fox in the name and qt
> which has a mucked up license for windows, but that was about it.

Yes, unfortunately it seems most of the "open" solutions have
a boatload of dependancies -- which suggests a nightmare to
]maintain (since each of those dependancies now imposes itself
on your application) *and* a really bloated solution.

I looked at jpilot (a palm pilot work-alike built on this stuff)
and found it sluggish even on a 1GHz machine.  Of course, I'm
not looking at what it's doing "under the hood" -- just how
quickly the screen appears/updates (though I don't consider
that sort of application particularly "strenuous"!).

Limbo-tk was nice (i.e., tk with limbo playing the role that
tcl would otherwise play) in that you could hack together a
screen with a dozen "lines of code" and *talk* to that screen
with a similar number.  This is a big win when you're just trying
to get stuff *done* and not trying to come up with the next
whiz-bang skinned over "pretty toy"...