[Tfug] CD Ripping

Nate nate at torzo.com
Mon Aug 25 11:05:50 MST 2008

CDs actually started the whole 2 second gap thing.  By default, they
will have a 2 second gap.  It's considered part of the tracks meta data
I think.  You can burn discs with no gaps, though, which is quite common
now a days for albums that blend one song into the next.  But that's
another issue...

Any sane ripper that I've ever worked with just rips the audio track
itself, and doesn't insert any kind of gap in the audio file itself,
regardless of whether there's a 2 second gap prescribed in the meta data
of the track on the CD.

What you are no doubt dealing with is the poor iPod implementation of
playing MP3s.  I have had a theory that Apple did it on purpose to make
MP3 seem like a lesser format their their own AAC.  This has been
"fixed" on newer ipods.  So it's just an artifact of your "rescued MP3
player."  If it's not an iPod, then it's probably just a similar flaw.

So for solutions, you can either:

1. Live with it. (this is what I do on my old iPod in my car)
2. Get a newer iPod.  A quick google search says: iPods that support
gapless playback: iPod nano (2nd Generation), 5th Generation iPod (Late
2006) and I'm sure anything newer.
3. Rip CDs as one track.  I actually do this with most of my electronica
CDs, for different reasons.  I put my iPod on shuffle most of the time,
and I don't like it coming up with a song in the middle of a mixed CD.
It will start in the middle of the music, and end in the middle of the
music.  CDs mixed by a DJ are meant to be played all the way through in
order.  So I rip them that way.  However, for other kinds of music, this
would invariable be horrible, because if you wanted to listen to Track 7
of your favorite CD, you'd have to fast forward through tracks 1-6 to
get to it.  You might as well use a cassette walkman at that point =).

Nate