[Tfug] ... and, yet another, optics question! ;-)

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 11:31:04 MST 2008

OK, eyeglasses are measured in diopters.
Magnifying glasses are expressed in *power*.

I want a small magnifying glass that I can
carry with me (ideally, in my *wallet*!).
Most of the magnifying glasses that I find
are "3X" and very large.  (of course, there
are some cheap fresnel style lenses that are
*flat* but I suspect they wouldn't work well
over the long run)

Can I just buy some COTS "reading glasses"
and pop the lenses out of them to act *as*
a magnifying glass?  If so, how do I decide
which (diopter) to buy?

[<grin>  you can see I find optics an
interesting field given my inexperience with it!]

Thx,
--don