[Tfug] LCD monitor failures

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 07:39:46 MST 2008

Hi, Adrian,

--- On Sat, 8/16/08, Choprboy <choprboy at dakotacom.net> wrote:

> > > I've yet to encounter the problem myself, but
> I would
> > > guess (and a WAG at that) that it could be dust /
> dirt
> > > contamination of a reflective plane at the back
> of the LCD.
> >
> > <frown>  I'd find that hard to believe given
> how they are
> > built, etc.  The "damaged" areas *look* like
> the glass has
> > been deformed by something like a finger (like the
> display was
> > squeezed in that spot).
>

> It is not the glass itself that has been damaged, but the
> light diffuser behind the glass.

Ah, OK.  So it *is* a mechanical defect...

> There is a membrane on the back side of the glass which
> redirects light toward the user from the cold cathode tubes
> at the top/bottom of the LCD. Pressure on the face, hitting,
> or jarring shocks all damage the
> membrane resulting in more or less light being transmitted
> thru the affected area.

OK, that makes sense.

> You can try taking the LCD apart and
> "fixing" it... but I think your unlikely to have success.

No, I wouldn'thave time to spend doing that to each "bad"
display.  Rather, I wanted confirmation that it was/is a
"handling issue" so I could tell the folks who are
responsible for "receiving" these items to keep their
mitts off the glass!  :>

(of course, no guarantee that the damage hasn't been done
before the items arrive but silly to *add* problems!)

Thanks!

(I *may* decide to take one apart just to see what's
inside -- after all, if it is "bad", I can't *break* it!  :> )

--don