[Tfug] LCD monitor failures

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Fri Aug 15 23:07:39 MST 2008

On Friday 15 August 2008 20:50, Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi, John,
>
> --- On Fri, 8/15/08, John Karns <johnkarns at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > display.  Not "black", just "reduced brightness".
> > >
> > > I belive these are areas where the glass has been
> > > deformed (due to mishandling by user).  Can anyone
> > > confirm this?
> >
> > I've yet to encounter the problem myself, but I would
> > guess (and a WAG at that) that it could be dust / dirt
> > contamination of a reflective plane at the back of the LCD.
>
> <frown>  I'd find that hard to believe given how they are
> built, etc.  The "damaged" areas *look* like the glass has
> been deformed by something like a finger (like the display was
> squeezed in that spot).

It is not the glass itself that has been damaged, but the light diffuser
behind the glass. There is a membrane on the back side of the glass which
redirects light toward the user from the cold cathode tubes at the top/bottom
of the LCD. Pressure on the face, hitting, or jarring shocks all damage the
membrane resulting in more or less light being transmitted thru the affected
area. You can try taking the LCD apart and "fixing" it... but I think your
unlikely to have success.

Adrian