[Tfug] FS: Linksys WRT54G with the excellent v.2 chipset - already flashed with DD-WRT full edition

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 14:26:38 MST 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:
> This router is in excellent cosmetic shape, comes with power brick and
> Ethernet cable.
>
> This is among the best of the Linksys routers - 4megs flash memory,
> 16megs RAM.  Only the somewhat rare v.3 is any better by a fraction
> (clock rate) - but even then the v.2 has more power going in and with
> DD-WRT or other true FOSS firmware sets you can crank the WiFi output
> power higher than the later ones.  Check out the specs comparison
> sheet at the DD-WRT site:

I have a ver 1.1 box, and a ver 3.  Just a word of caution: I remember
reading somewhere many moons ago that it's best not set the output
power higher than 70% or 80% of max.  Higher than that and the chances
of burnout within a year go up significantly, unless one augments the
internal heat dissipation.

--
John