[Tfug] A question for somebody else...

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Mon Aug 11 15:53:04 MST 2008

Ian McEwen wrote:
> One option you might consider is DNS-based filtering; OpenDNS provides a
> service that blocks sites based on content, where the manager of DNS for
> a subnet can choose what is allowed/disallowed; I've seen this used at
> one airport I visited, that wanted to block various non-work-related
> sites from their employees' use. Not to mention, OpenDNS has had the DNS
> hole blocked (as best it can be, anyway) for longer than almost anybody,
> which is always a good sign.

I'm with Ian on this one. OpenDNS has always been fast for me, and I've
been using it since day 1. The user won't be able to circumvent the
protection unless he/she is pretty tech savvy, and even then, it would
require finding a different DNS server to use.

For "normal" users, point the DNS servers to 208.67.222.222 and
208.67.220.220 in the router's config, set the network interface to
DHCP, and forget about it. You'll also have to turn the blocking on in
your OpenDNS account, but that's a trivial step. I believe it involves
checking a radio button and hitting submit. :-)

Matt