[Tfug] wxWidgets

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 30 12:38:05 MST 2008

Greetings!

I'm looking into GUI toolkits for another "quick and dirty"
project and wonder what your experiences with wxWidgets have
been like?

Note, I'm not looking for "pretty", bells and whistles, etc.
I want something with a small footprint (ideally), good
"visual" tools (so I don't have to manually "count pixels"
to place widgets on the screen, etc.), reasonably portable
*and* not a pain in the ass to code around.

E.g., I can use Motif as it satisfies all of the above
(except the "small footprint"  :< ) but it requires a
fair bit of hand-holding to tie all the code together.

By contrast, doing things in limbo-tk was almost as
easy as writing code in "BASIC"!  (and, with a SUPER
tiny footprint).

I'm particularly concerned as the wxWidgets documentation appears
very amateurish.  And, wonder how well their "visual" tools
*really* work.

Also, does the library allow you to build "panels" that are smart
enough to know how to resize themselves?  E.g., can I build a
dialog and configure it so that if it is "maximized" then
I want certain geometric layout relationships to be preserved.
So, for example, the buttons remain equally spaced along the
bottom edge while a listbox located above them maybe grows
wider even though the set of radio buttons to it's right stays
in a fixed geometric relationship...

(sorry, I should probably send some pix to illustrate)

Thx,
--don