[Tfug] Jumbo fonts in Xubuntu on XO laptop

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Tue Apr 29 13:46:49 MST 2008

Hello all,

I've installed Xubuntu on an SD card for use in my XO laptop.  It's working
surprising well except that fonts in X are super sized.

The DPI in X is correctly set at 201x201 for the 1200x900 screen.  I've also
just found that it appears to actually be only GTK apps.  I installed Opera
which uses Qt and it has normal fonts.  Changing the XFCE font size setting
had no effect as did changing the XFCE DPI setting to something else.

This doesn't appear to be a problem with the particular GTK scheme used by
XFCE and other apps since I can change that and the font sizes don't change.
I can make a terminal usable by setting the font size (in that app
specifically) to 6, but that's not an optimal solution.  I don't want to
manually set every program's font size.

Any ideas on what to change to fix this?

Also, one other question about flash wear.  I'm currently running this off an
SD card so I can keep the internal flash free for Sugar.  How much should I do
to prevent excess writes to the SD card?  People don't seem to do anything
different for machines with solid state drives.  Is there a big difference
between how an SS harddrive and an SD card do wear-leveling?

For example, I plan to put /var/log on a tmpfs ramdisk since I really don't
need semi-permanent logs on this machine and those are written to frequently.
Should I make any other changes?  Is it worth it?

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.