[Tfug] Hardy Heron problems

David Cowell davidwcowell at cox.net
Sat Apr 26 11:26:49 MST 2008

The various alarms being sounded about Hardy Heron fit the usual pattern
for Ubuntu releases during the first few weeks after release day. It has
been this way ever since I got involved with Ubuntu... the first few
weeks are a panic of incompatibilities with the occasional
self-righteous upgrader saying, "Well, _mine_ worked! (Dummy)"

The best advice that I know about "upgrading" is not to do it until the
first month of responses on the Ubuntu support forums indicate that the
release is finally ready for prime time.

If you _really_ have to see how Ubuntu is so much better (and it seems
to be that way) and you have Windows XP:

+ boot up XP
+ insert the Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop disk into your CD drive*
+ open the disk and run wubi.exe

This will install Ubuntu as a Windows program (pretty slick idea, eh?).
It takes about 30-45 minutes, but then you have a _new_ Hardy Heron
installation without battering your older *buntu installation to bits.
And it's easy to load up 8.04 because the Windows OS runs off Grub.

If you want to do an upgrade, though, you'd be best advised to wait some
time unless you _really_ like to solve problems.

____
* You can also download wubi.exe as an independent launcher, approx 1MB,
and it will access the Ubuntu repositories online. This of course might
not be as failsafe as installing from a Desktop CD where you have
already checked the md5sum. http://wubi-installer.org/latest.php