[Tfug] Question re: real-time kernel and some headaches in Ubuntu Hardy.

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 03:25:52 MST 2008

Folks,

I've been having a hell of a bad time with Ubuntu Hardy. I've now done a
clean install from the release CD, and the occasional lockups continue.

This is on that same old Acer that's given me zero problems in Feisty and
Gutsy.  Dead standard hardware, Atheros WiFi, Intel945 video, etc.  Others
are getting hit with the same things, bugs I've contributed reports to have
been assigned to the kernel team, priority high, listed as "triaged", but I
doubt they'll be able to sort it out.  The lockups are so bad SSH doesn't
work.  It's hitting a variety of systems, different video cards, just no
hardware pattern we can see so far.  No log files of any sort get generated
by these puke'n'dies.

About the only semi-consistent trigger is CPU load.

One person mentioned curing it by compiling the 2.6.23 kernel.  I'm about
ready to try compiling 2.6.25 for grins'n'giggles.

Meanwhile, I've tried running off the Ubuntu Hardy server kernel, no joy
there.  They also have a realtime (-rt) kernel and as I type this I'm
running that as a test.

Can somebody explain what differences I should see with a -rt kernel?

Jim