[Tfug] ubuntu

sitkaa at email.arizona.edu sitkaa at email.arizona.edu
Wed Apr 23 17:01:43 MST 2008

In the sense of technical prowess required, I have also found that linux is
getting easier to istall and use, something which is really commendable. I
haven't been able to get my Verizon card working, but I understand that some
have. I just don't have time to figure that out right now. The efforts in this
regard really benfit the greater global computer-using community. Perhaps, the
day may not be so long off when Microsoft will close its doors.

The complexity to which I was referring is the whole package: software, soft
infrastructure, hard infrastructure, etc: the entire kit and kaboodle. This is
where the whole thing should "just work".

The promise of linux is one of an efficient and easy to use system of social
organization which can be useful - vital once established - in so many ways.
This is not something that Microsoft will ever implement, but the linux
community can.

I am sitting in a room watching people walk by, and realizing that very few of
them have seen linux. They may know that it is out there, but for the
most part
these people just use what is given to them.

Hypothetically, for instance:
1. this girl likes to dance
2. that guy is only interested in making money
3. a professor who wants to grade some papers and get it over with
4. a kid on a skateboard
5. a woman who want to be respected
6. a dog owner with a frisbee
7. a girl talking on a cell-phone to a friend
8. and on and on

These people will use linux only when it "just works"; that is, when it can do
everything they want it to do, without having to think about formatting,
connectivity issues, using a terminal to get some function to work, or
whatever. Linux has actually been close to this mark for some time without
completely crossing the line. It is these people, these mere users, who would
implement any substantial social organizational system improvements.

The promise of linux has to do with the venue of social organization it can
provide. I don't believe that you can have a duopoly in this regard. The
contest between open source and Microsoft is to the death, and it must occur.
Microsoft cannot fully win, but it can fully lose. Linux cannot fully
lose, but
it can fully win. I think Bill Gates realizes this:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2008/04/23/bill-gates-the-gpl-which-we-disagree-with

However, were linux to ever fully win this contest, of neccessity, it
would have
to be officially community supported.

Anyway, whatever. I gotta do some work.