[Tfug] ubuntu

Ryan Cresawn jrcresawn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 16:12:56 MST 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 1:46 PM,  <sitkaa at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
>  Last night here at the U. a bunch of people with bicycles gathered and milled
>  about. I asked someone who organized this event, to which the reply
>  that no one
>  did. It just happened. And it continues to happen every Tuesday night
>  at 8ish. I
>  hung around awhile to observe the process. Someone eventually shouted
>  out to the
>  crowd that had a path that they were going, and to follow them. The crowd
>  followed this person who took the lead.

The Tuesday night ride of which you write, begins each Tuesday at 8 pm
near the flagpole by Old Main.  It is a very fun ride and is similar
to Critical Mass rides.  It isn't quite the same because Critical Mass
rides have no stated rules other than to consume all traffic lanes
slowing automobile traffic to bicycle traffic speeds.  The overall
intent of this is to demonstrate to automobile drivers that cyclists
have a right to use the road too and deserve rarely given respect.
Other goals probably relate to the relative danger cyclists face while
riding on roads designed primarily for automobiles.

The Tuesday night ride has the more moderate goal of being fun while
sharing the road rather than controlling it.  I know of only one other
person on this list who is a cyclist in Tucson.  It would be great to
have more people on the Tuesday night ride so if you like to cycle and
are free from 8 until around 9:30 pm you should give it a try!  The
speed is never fast so don't worry about being able to keep up.  Also,
don't forget to bring lights as sometimes we ride through dimly lit
neighborhoods.

Ryan