[Tfug] opinion on the proper/minimum size for Root

Brian Murphy murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu
Wed Apr 23 02:44:19 MST 2008

Quoting John Mc <jmcneill2 at earthlink.net>:
> I've finished putting Kubuntu 7.04 on an older Dell notebook with a
> 10 GB HDD.
> I have both / and /home partitions. Root (/) currently has files
> totaling 3400 MB.
> What is your opinion on the proper/minimum size for Root:

A good minimum would be 3400.1 MB. :)

Proper is one of those "it depends" types of answers.  Are / and /home
the only regular filesystem partitions?  Do you plan on installing more
programs?  Processes will need scratch space in /tmp.  The system will
write some logs to /var.  I would probably look at the 10GB total,
3.4GB in use, estimate what I might be doing with the system, and make
a guess based upon how much space I'll need in /home to get my work
done.

Brian

The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and should not be
taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the University of
Arizona.