[Tfug] [OT, slightly] IT Consulting

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Sat Apr 19 09:37:29 MST 2008

A point the article is making, and one that cannot be overemphasized, is
that a critical role the consultant must take on is that of getting firm
documentation of the requirements and them being a serious asshole about
changes.  It needs to be made very clear up front that the requirements
step is critical and that there will be little room for "gee, can't we
just add this capability" once everyone's signed off on the requirements.
And the customer needs to pay to get a firm requirements document.  If
they refuse, you either walk away or take it out of your own hide,
depending on how hungry you are.

If the requirements are fuzzy (ie, real world) and might actually change
once the customer has a prototype, then the consultant should tell the
customer that a prototype stage, with a second go-around with the
requirements document, is a must.  This costs more, but an ethical
consultant should make this point and stick by it.

Many of these big projects fail because they are seriously underbid, a
fault of both the consultants and the buyers (the Government is seriously
bad with this, as are the usual suspects on Government bids - the big IT
sellers like IBM, SAIC, Boeing, et al).

Being honest up-front, and an asshole later, may make you lose clients,
but what you lose in clients you gain in sleeping well at night (or
better, anyway).

Jim