[Tfug] Mastering the High-Tech Tools That Help Us

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 07:30:39 MST 2008

I read this article on ACBNews.  It talks about humans getting into a "thrashing" type of mode.  I found it an interesting read because I find myself increasingly distracted and feel like I am getting less done that I think I should.

---
Multitasking has long been a badge of honor for the digitally well-armed, a term equating high personal productivity with computerlike efficiency.

Blackberries, cell phones and laptops are being banned from office meetings -- forcing employees to go "topless" or "laptop-less."

But also widely discussed in recent years has been the notion that -- as with computers, so with people -- there is a price to pay for distributing attention too widely across tasks. What seems like a hyperproductive approach to work can actually be counterproductive.

Computer scientists have a word for the phenomenon: thrashing. That's when a computer is....... Mastering the High-Tech Tools That Help Us
---

Keith Smith
(520) 207-9877
PHP Programmer