[Tfug] Switches

johngalt johngalt1 at uswest.net
Fri Apr 4 17:39:33 MST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nate" <nate>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Switches

> We like HP ProCurves.  2824 is a full Gig on each port managed switch.
> They have great performance, good longevity, and most important lifetime
> warranty.  We've had one out of a couple dozen fail in the last 5 years,
> and HP replaced it without question.
>
> Nate

I second that HP recommendation. If you are going for lower cost you can get
a generation or two older than the latest model on eBay for a great price.

HP doesn't require you to pay for a maintenance contract just to update the
firmware with the latest. I think the feature set is good.

Cisco switches (and everything else) are extraordinarily expensive, in my
opinion. Their stuff is very good, but you pay a premium. And then, it seems
like they deprecate their models faster than HP and Nortel.

Be careful about buying Cisco on Ebay, because the Chinese produce clones.