[Tfug] Switches

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 14:11:15 MST 2008

Hi,

--- William Stott <WStott at ventanamed.com> wrote:

> Here¹s a few:
>
> Cisco 2960-24TT-L is a 24 port switch for branch
> offices.
> Cisco WS-CE500-24TT is the Cisco Express 24 port
> switch with 2 10/100/1000
> Uplink ports.
> Juniper EX 4200-24P is the Juniper 24 Port
> 10/100/1000 PoE ports.
>
> I do not know the costs offhand, but your email
> sounds like reliability is
> important. I would not rely on anything else in a
> production environment

Not a "production environment" but I *do* want to
be able to rely on connectivity (since there are
devices here that *must* be able to talk to each
other 24/7)

> unless I absolutely had to. You did not mention a
> feature set so I did not

Dumb switch.  Ideally low power consumption and
an AC supply built-in (I am tired of all these
frigging wall warts!)

> look at that. Also, it is important to note that you
> say that you are
> looking at 16 port hubs. Hubs and switches are not

Sorry, slip of the tongue.  "Switch" means various
things in other application domains so I tend to
use the vernacular "hub" when talking about network
equipment -- just like refering to "pills" instead
of the industry-specific term "tablets"  :>

> considered the same to
> me, and I would steer clear of hubs due to their
> limitations, lack of
> reliability,  and network issues that they cause
> (i.e. Collisions).
>
> Hope this helps,

Thanks, I'll look into them.