[Tfug] freebsd nic help

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 05:44:09 MST 2007

Holy cow, that reply took a while. I had give up and
assumed no one knew. Thanks for your time though.

> > What does your probe() look like (dmesg or equiv)?

not listed in dmesg

> > Is the device listed *there*?  If so, just build
> > the right /dev entry (unless FBSD's device handling
> > has changed significantly in the years since I last
> > ran it... is devfs real, now?)

indeed. No more MAKEDEV (think that's what it was called).
it's been gone since 5.x

> Have you built a custom kernel? If so, your
> configuration file needs:
>            device miibus #which you already have
>            device rl

rl already there

> or you can add a line to the file /boot/loader.conf:
>            if_rl_load="YES"
>
> You can check your drivers right now with (as root):
>
> # kldload if_rl
>
> if the driver is already loaded you'll get:
> kldload: can't load if_rl: File exists

$ kldload if_rl
kldload: can't load if_rl: File exists

> for further information, check
>    $  man rl
>
> it may also pay to check:
>    $  man -k realtek

I'll follow up on this.

--
Q: What did the zen buddhist say to the hotdog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything ~ Dr. Jonathan Katz