[Tfug] freebsd nic help

Neil Short neshort at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 21:59:02 MST 2007

--- Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- christopher floess <skeptikos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > High everyone. I've got a FreeBSD question here.
>
> <grin>
>
> > I was going to configure NAT on my machine, which
> > I had done before on a different machine, but for
> > some reason none of the extra  nics are
> recognized.
> > Does anyone have any idea of how to troubleshoot
> > this?
>
> What does your probe() look like (dmesg or equiv)?
> Is the device listed *there*?  If so, just build
> the right /dev entry (unless FBSD's device handling
> has changed significantly in the years since I last
> ran it... is devfs real, now?)
>
> > Here's ifconfig -a
> >
> > bge0:
> > flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
> > mtu 1500
> >         options=1a<TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
> >         inet6 fe80::250:2cff:fe09:8a4d%bge0
> > prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
> >         inet 68.105.xxx.xxx netmask 0xffffff00
> > broadcast 68.105.140.255
> >         ether 00:50:2c:09:8a:4d
> >         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX
> > <full-duplex>)
> >         status: active
> > fwe0: flags=108802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
> mtu
> > 1500
> >         options=8<VLAN_MTU>
> >         ether 02:50:2c:09:9d:16
> >         ch 1 dma -1
> > plip0: flags=108810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
> > mtu 1500
> > lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu
> > 16384
> >         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
> >         inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
> >         inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
> >
> > You can see that bge0 works. That's my connection
> > the
> > outside world, but my inside nic's which both use
> > the
> > realtek driver aren't listed, and on previous
> > systems have
> > been under /dev/rlx .

Have you built a custom kernel? If so, your
configuration file needs:
           device miibus #which you already have
           device rl

or you can add a line to the file /boot/loader.conf:
           if_rl_load="YES"

You can check your drivers right now with (as root):

# kldload if_rl

if the driver is already loaded you'll get:
kldload: can't load if_rl: File exists

for further information, check
   $  man rl

it may also pay to check:
   $  man -k realtek

======
Because sentence against an evil deed is not executed speedily, the human heart is fully set to do evil.
Ecclesiastes 8:11