[Tfug] speakers

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Tue Sep 25 10:50:40 MST 2007

Sean Warburton wrote:
> You need some Vegas! Cerwin Vegas are the best. I just have a 7.1 receiver
> (THX and DPL2 certified, for awesome surround sound) and instead of front
> and rear channel, I have 6 floor standing speakers and a center speaker. I
> know, looks dorky, but gets very loud. Already had one noise ordinance
> warning here at the U of A dorm. So do that, you will not regret it, I
> guarantee it.

As an older person with a very serious hearing loss, I need to comment
here, although I hope you don't take it as preaching.

Many studies have shown that continued exposure to loud sounds does
damage a persons hearing, especially in the ranges to discern speech.

I feel that with the emphasis on loud music and rolling boom box cars,
we are raising a nation of young folks who will suffer from hearing
losses later on.  Besides, my taste in music is probably not the same as
yours or the person next to you.  ;-)

I find that a good set of headphones allows me to enjoy music and
doesn't infringe on the privacy of those around me.

Off my soapbox now.....

George Cohn