[Tfug] Yet another poser

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Tue Sep 18 15:29:55 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "jblais" <>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Yet another poser

>> Unless someone can explain a real world application of a
>> crossover cable using POE, I call BS. This sounds way too
>> hypothetical.
>>

> I don't know - I'm just guessing that some pairs are dedicated to signals,
> and the others to power, and that crossing a Tx with and Rx pair can be a
> good thing for communications, crossing + with - or + with Tx is probably
> NOT desirable.

Yes, agreed.

When are you going to connect two devices supplying PoE power together?
(such that they require conductors 4,5,7,8) You could connect two switches,
but why would you connect the power then?

> real world crosssover - 2 pc's direct connected without a hub.  or GUI PC
> direct connected to a controller where you don't want the slow down of the
> rest of the world on some network chatter.

This answer not specified in the context of PoE.

When connecting a PC to a PoE network camera via crossover cable with
conductors 4,5,7,8 properly connected, will the NIC power the camera? Don't
think so.

Still waiting to hear a real world example of crossover cable application
using the non-ethernet TX and RX pairs for PoE....

TIA