[Tfug] Yet another poser

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Mon Sep 17 19:08:14 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bexley Hall" <>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Yet another poser

> --- jblais <> wrote:
>
>> > Are you talking about POE (Power over Ethernet)?
>> This is a standard,
>> > IEEE 802.3af, that specifies how switches and
>> patch panels can provide
>> > power to end devices such a WAP's, VOIP phones,
>> network cameras, etc.
>> >
>> > Usually they use two pairs of the 4 pair cat 5e or
>> 6 cable to provide
>> > the power to the end devices.
>> >
>> > George Cohn
>>
>> Yes -
>>
>> If you want a crossover for the signal, you don't
>> want to cross it with the
>> power --- or make the motor run backwards -- or make
>> the camera into a
>> projector (for about a millisecond anyway  :-).
>
> Or *interrupt* the power (i.e. by not including the
> conductors to carry it)

Unless someone can explain a real world application of a
crossover cable using POE, I call BS. This sounds way too
hypothetical.

Let's see you could connect two POE devices together and
perhaps they would power each other by anti-potential. in
the presence of a warp field.

Alternatively, you could hook up two POE switches or power
inserters together and they would be powered  by their own
power supply.