[Tfug] Wifi ESSID management

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Fri Sep 14 12:30:59 MST 2007

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 05:17:46PM +0000, Earl wrote:

> earlwho at RedDragon:~$ iwlist eth1 scan
> eth1      Scan completed :
>           Cell 01 - Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
>                     ESSID:"ACTIONTEC"
>                     Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
>           {etc.}
>
> It only shows the one I am connected to and not the other one that
> is available.
>
> If I jump on the other one and try this command, it shows the
> information for that network and not mine.

Capabilities of scanning depend upon the card you have and the
driver.  Some cards will only show the associated ESSID, so you need
to disassociate.  Bring the card down and up using ifconfig.  Also,
make sure that you're root.  Unprivileged users will simply see the
last results of the ap scan.  I don't think that you would need to be
in monitor mode, but you might want to try that as well.

C.