[Tfug] Wifi ESSID management

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Fri Sep 14 10:17:46 MST 2007

-- rubinson at u.arizona.edu (Claude Rubinson) wrote:
On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 06:03:23PM +0000, Earl wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a Wifi manager that works from the command line
>> or a less sophisticated window manager such as TWM (a light weight
>> GUI will do).  I'm looking for something that allowing me to see a
>> list of available networks and choose one.

> iwlist man!  man iwlist.  e.g. `iwlist $interface scan`
earlwho at RedDragon:~$ iwlist eth1 scan
eth1      Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
                    ESSID:"ACTIONTEC"
                    Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
          {etc.}

It only shows the one I am connected to and not the other one that is available.

If I jump on the other one and try this command, it shows the information for that network and not mine.

>> iwconfig man!  man iwconfig.  e.g., `iwconfig $interface essid $my-essid && dhclient $interface`

>> Claude
Earl
Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: