[Tfug] OSS equivalent of M$ FolderShare?

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Thu Sep 13 13:32:04 MST 2007

On Sep 13, 2007, at 11:01 am, Robert Hunter wrote:

>> You have three obstacles:
>> 1. file syncing
>> 2. file content syncing
>> 3. Firefox knowing that its prefs/bookmarks have changed
>
> Right, but there is a little more...  for true concurrency, you
> would need some form of locking to manage readers and writers.  I
> don't think version control would work well for this -- at least
> not without hacking the mozilla source.
Why not? Version control does your locking and management. It seems a
plugin could work.

> These solutions would work in a "one-user-at-a-time" scenario
> ( i.e., if Angus wanted to sync his profile between his home and
> work machine ).
Hm. I'm not convinced that it couldn't be used. I must give it a
shot :-)

> I, too,  keep many of my configuration files in svn.  However, as I
> stated previously, if what he is looking for is concurrent access,
> he will need something more.  See some of the links from my
Good info, yes, but all require hacking the sources.

The direction they seem to be heading in is a "registry" style hack
-- using a db backend. That's bad for two reasons:

1. you can't tweak things with a text editor
2. you can't *fix* things with a text editor

Everything would then have to be done via a Mozilla preferences editor.

If we're going to completely replace the preferences, I'd favor
something more like MacOSX's Property List (plist) files. This has a
number of advantages:

1. Every preference read and write action is abstracted through a
system call. There's also a "defaults" program to edit these
preferences at the command line. There's also a "Property List
Editor" program, for editing the files directly.
2. plist files are either XML or binary. Programs don't care which.
3. There are three levels of locality: user, system, and network.
Write access depends on privileges.

What it *doesn't* do is abstract the locality of the user account
from the locality of the preferences. You log into a local account,
you get local prefs. You log into a network account, you get network
prefs.

However, this type of architecture would seem to be a better basis
than anything else that's been suggested.

R.