[Tfug] OSS equivalent of M$ FolderShare?

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Thu Sep 13 11:01:07 MST 2007

On 9/13/07, Rich <r-lists at studiosprocket.com> wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2007, at 9:28 pm, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:
>
> > You got it.  What I'm after is real-time synching of Firefox
> > profiles, where any changes to the local profile folder are
> > mirrored to other machines through a shared folder somewhere out
> > there.  Manual synching won't do what I want.
>
> You have three obstacles:
> 1. file syncing
> 2. file content syncing
> 3. Firefox knowing that its prefs/bookmarks have changed

Right, but there is a little more...  for true concurrency, you would
need some form of locking to manage readers and writers.  I don't think
version control would work well for this -- at least not without hacking
the mozilla source.

> 1 & 2 are solved by svn, cvs, etc.; but with some wrapper code to
> trigger check-in and check-out events.
>   * a change to prefs triggers a check-in
>   * a check-in triggers all other subscribers to check-out
>
> The second of these could also (somehow) tell FF to reload files.

These solutions would work in a "one-user-at-a-time" scenario ( i.e., if
Angus wanted to sync his profile between his home and work machine ).  I,
too,  keep many of my configuration files in svn.  However, as I stated
previously, if what he is looking for is concurrent access, he will need
something more.  See some of the links from my previous post.

> FolderShare sounds like a non-developer application of version
> control. With the right front-end, we could do that cross platform,
> give it a name, and tell Ballmer to go back to furniture removals.

I'll tip a pint to that!  ;-)

--
Rob