[Tfug] Defrag a disk

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 17:38:22 MST 2007

Well few people need to shoot files bigger than 32gig around, and
Fat32 works acceptably well to that point.

Second, because Fat32 is what's in USB flash memory, cameras and the
like, it's become the one disk type *everybody* supports natively.
Linux (almost all recent distros and kernel versions), Mac and Windows
can all read/write it with zero tweaking.  I keep a 32gig Fat32
partition on my external 160gig USB drive for exactly this reason, so
that I have disk space that I know *everybody* can read/write.

Is it the most efficient?  Hell no.  But it works as a "universal
translator" format.

Jim