[Tfug] Defrag a disk

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 15:09:33 MST 2007

Ext3 partitions don't need defragging.

SOME of the other partition types do - not ReiserFS, but XFS and I
*think* JFS can get fragmented.

Then again...if you're new enough to be asking this question, you
should be using Ext3 for your primary Linux partition, plus a swap
partition (it's a special type of it's own) plus small Fat32
partitions to do transfers with Windows/Mac users and NTFS for
anything Windows2000/XP/Vista will be accessing.

Jim