[Tfug] Destroying a hard drive

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 8 11:14:14 MST 2007

--- Matt Jacob <matt.jacob at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the best/easiest way to physically destroy a
> hard drive? I have
> some old drives that are completely dead, and thus,
> I can't use
> software such as Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe them.
> I'm thinking that
> a couple holes with a power drill would do the
> trick, but security is
> the top priority here.

What sort of *threats* are you trying to guard
against (i.e., protecting your financial records?
or, keeping yourself OUT OF JAIL??  :>  )

When I dispose of a drive that has had sensitive
information on it (e.g., projects for clients),
I overwrite the disk's contents many times.
Then, use a large bulk eraser on the platters.
Then, drop it forcefully  :> several times.

And, dispose of it in a generic location
(i.e. where it is highly unlikely that
anyone who *knows* that I was working for
a particular client is likely to come across
it "casually").

Remember, there are other "easier" ways to get
most things that you might consider "sensitive".