[Tfug] Destroying a hard drive

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Sat Sep 8 10:09:05 MST 2007

erich wrote:
> OK,
>      Get yourself a set of TORX drivers. T5 - T15 is fine, Then just
> unscrew
> them. Get the platters out and hang them up. There is little incentive to
> "unscramble the eggs in a omlette" :-).  Unless you have secrets on
> there on how to destroy the universe.

I read somewhere that the government has something like a macho paper
shredder that they throw their drives in.  Reduces them to little shreds
of metal and plastic.  Or here's a company that can do it for you:
http://www.datakillers.com/index.html

Most major corporations now have a contract with bonded "asset recovery"
companies that do the data destruction for them.

The computers then usually get sold.  I picked up a nice HP NC8200
laptop that way that was only two years old.  Came with a fresh, legal
install of Win XP Pro and Office.  I paid $400 for it.  Now dual boots
to XP Pro and Ubuntu.

George Cohn