[Tfug] Qwest/MSN Linux email?

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 15:55:18 MST 2007

I am using Qwest DSL 1.5 Mb connection and MSN is real internet
provider. My operating system is FreeBSD.

I am little bit confused about your question. If your mother in law
needs to access her
MSN email account there is a web based client which she can access
from any operating system. I have their email which I used for this
forum before they "upgraded" me to windows live and all my messages
were sent as MS-Word documents.
On another hand there are no POP or SMTP servers supported by
Microsoft other than the outlook so if she must use non web based
client she is stuck with windows XP.

I also have Gmail account. It has web base client but I think it also
supports POP and SMTP mail servers. So she could use Mozilla
Tunderbird, Fetchmail or any other mail client
for those kind of servers to read her email.

I am receiving my University email through Mozilla Tunderbird which is
as you know client for IMAP, SMTP mail servers. (It supports other
servers as POP but at Department of Mathematics we use this).
Tunderbird is platform independent client. Supported by natively
by FreeBSD, Linux and MS-DOS.

I also have my own mail server Sendmail which uses as a default client
mail (minimalistic unix clien).
I use it rarely since I have no fixed IP address so my mail would be
normally rejected by most mail servers. An advantage of using sendmail
or exim which is next generation of mail transfer agent would be that
you can set your spam filter as you wish.
You could also scan your mail with the things like Clamov so that she
never gets virus again.

The coolest solution will be to set up a FreeBSD box between her and
Qwest modem.
Pay 5.99 a month for fixed web address and use sendmail (send mail is
pre-configured on FreeBSD) as her mail server and use let say
Tunderbird as her mail client. By the way sendmail supports  web based
clients so she would be able to access her mail via web as long as her
FreeBSD server is all the time on.

Hope you guys have a fun
Predrag Punosevac