[Tfug] Defragging *nix

Ronald Sutherland ronald.sutherland at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 15:26:17 MST 2007

On 10/29/07, Tim Ottinger <tottinge at gmail.com> wrote:

> yeah.  I refer to google as "the smart guy".  Of course, that make me....
>
> Anyway, I'm /very/ not a Java programmer.  I was riding the wave and
> living
> the life when the world was C and C++ and "everyone" was using Unix of
> some
> form or another.  Then I jumped off and went to Python for full-time work,
> with a spattering of other unix-ish languages.  A little C, a little perl,
> lot of bash, a good chunk of python.  Backend-like processes, command
> lines,
> control systems, lots of fun stuff.  Eight or nine years later I return to
> the world, which in the meantime became entirely populated by web
> programmers (I've never done a web app) and entirely dominated by people
> who
> have only ever worked in Java and related technology and terms.  I feel
> like
> I returned to the stone ages, but this time they speak Finnish.  Python is
> so far ahead of C++ and Java and C#  in terms of usability.

I will second that, I would rather use MS VB than Java/C#/C++. Having said
that I do use C when I need it.

Sigh.  Now I
> have to learn to run with my shoelaces tied together.
>
> I have no idea what Flash CS3, Javascript, or EJBs look like.    =B-o
>
> I came back as an agile software consultant, which also has its share of
> new
> things to learn.  I have to pick up new languages, tools, and techniques
> because a chunk of the world that pays consultants is still stuck in
> Windoze, while I am simultaneously catching up on old (and fading)
> languages, tools, and techniques like Java.  :-/
>
> Ah, well, it's an interesting life.  If I didn't like learning new stuff
> all
> the time, I should have gotten a CPA.
>
> hmm... most of the CPA's have been let go or left the corp I work for, at
least in Tucson. Everything is getting outsourced as best as I can tell. I
guess I'll be applying to make bombs soon, although its unlikely they will
accept me since I don't much like the idea of losing all that cheap l a  b
o    r ... wait did someone already decide how this problem will be fixed
:-(