[Tfug] Defragging *nix

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 14:34:49 MST 2007

yeah.  I refer to google as "the smart guy".  Of course, that make me....

Anyway, I'm /very/ not a Java programmer.  I was riding the wave and living
the life when the world was C and C++ and "everyone" was using Unix of some
form or another.  Then I jumped off and went to Python for full-time work,
with a spattering of other unix-ish languages.  A little C, a little perl, a
lot of bash, a good chunk of python.  Backend-like processes, command lines,
control systems, lots of fun stuff.  Eight or nine years later I return to
the world, which in the meantime became entirely populated by web
programmers (I've never done a web app) and entirely dominated by people who
have only ever worked in Java and related technology and terms.  I feel like
I returned to the stone ages, but this time they speak Finnish.  Python is
so far ahead of C++ and Java and C#  in terms of usability.  Sigh.  Now I
have to learn to run with my shoelaces tied together.

I have no idea what Flash CS3, Javascript, or EJBs look like.    =B-o

I came back as an agile software consultant, which also has its share of new
things to learn.  I have to pick up new languages, tools, and techniques
because a chunk of the world that pays consultants is still stuck in
Windoze, while I am simultaneously catching up on old (and fading)
languages, tools, and techniques like Java.  :-/

Ah, well, it's an interesting life.  If I didn't like learning new stuff all
the time, I should have gotten a CPA.