[Tfug] modem and router combo

Ronald Sutherland ronald.sutherland at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 22:00:10 MST 2007

Smoke is the magic inside any electronic device, letting it out returns the
electronics to its previous state, sand.

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/signal_booster/

That one is for forward gain, which was not your problem, if the return
level is low I would think something is wrong with the RF amplifier driving
the cable wire or possibility the cable modem is driving a big pile of cable
and he needed to add impedance to the line so the amplifier did not over
heat.

Christopher is there any chance your cable modem is getting hot, that could
cause the RF stage to shutdown. It drives a large reactive load (the cable)
all the way back to a receiver in your area. I was reading about people
having problems with such things, for example when running things like
bittorrent the upload can work the RF amplifier in the cable modem for a
long time and build up heat.