[Tfug] modem and router combo

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 11:17:18 MST 2007

Chris,

Correction to my previous message.

WAP is not a wireless cryptography system but something else. I meant to
say
that SMC WI supports WEP and WPA/WPA2 wireless cryptography systems. I was
also
under impression that you want cable modem not DSL like I have thus
appropriate link.
My network of currently 3 FreeBSD boxes ( I got some new once) is WPA
crypted
and if you have any problems writing your wpa_supplicant.conf file
let me know. The handbook does a damn good job.
I have also a box running OpenBSD but I didn't want use WEP just to be able
to use OpenBSD on the wireless network.

Actually my plan is to put OpenBSD box as a firewall between my Motorola
modem and
Wireless access point (although Modems come with pre-built PF) and have
FreeBSD boxes behind
the access point.

WEP is not secure at all ( I could probably brake it in 5-10 sec) and even
WPA is not really
secure for a serious hacker (probably 30 second would be enough).
The way to go is to tunnel things through VPN (Virtual Private Network) but
I did not set mine yet. OpenVPN of OpenBSD is really great although at U
of A we use Cisco 3000 VPN server so
I do have Cisco client on one of my FreeBSD machines just to be able to
see the class rosters for the classes
I teach.

Best,
Predrag