[Tfug] modem and router combo

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 07:09:33 MST 2007

Alright, here's the thing. I think my modem is dying. I do
understand the different between a router and modem.
I was just hoping to get all in: coax in, several ethernet
jacks out. For some reason I thought I'd seen this. Why
have two little boxes when you can have just one?

I've set up pc's with routing, and it worked pretty well,
the problem I have is that I don't have time to set this
up right now. What this turns into is getting that pc up
and running, establishing the routing, and then setting
it up to run headless, in case there is any needed
maintenance.

Last time I set to do this, I had all the cards in it and
rebuilt my kernel with the needed support (I'm
on FBSD), but I must have done something wrong,
which turned into a troubleshooting session, which I
don't have time for.

As much as I enjoy DIY, that was just the routing part
of it, which I've done before. I've asked around the
list about headless systems, and everyone
pretty much agreed that ssh was the way to go.
Unfortunately I haven't had enough time to look into
it and although I know that the Handbook goes over
it pretty well, I think I'd have more peace of mind if
I learned a little more about it, intead of just hoping
things go according to the directions (which I've
learned is often not the case).

Simple questions like will my routing box run if I just
unplug the monitor after setting up ssh and nat, or do
I need to let FBSD know not to expect a monitor add
a lot of overhead when you don't know the answer
and you just want to get the system going.

It's these simple questions that allowed the lure of a
nice little box in the corner of my apt. to get me doing
some research and post my question.

I've got the cox guy coming over on Sunday. I'll let
you know what the outcome is ~ Chris

--
Q: What did the zen buddhist say to the hotdog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything ~ Dr. Jonathan Katz