[Tfug] random squares

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Mon Oct 22 21:21:38 MST 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 8:32 pm, Robert Hunter wrote:

> I can almost count on the
> fact that if I need a particular functionality, that there is at least
> one package at CPAN; but even then I spend a bit of time learning the
> API for the particular package.
Therein lies the problem! Inconsistency. Some are OO, others not.
Some are trivial convenience libs, others are hugely complex APIs. I
think this could be solved with some kind of CPAN module rating
system to give an idea of how far reaching and how complex a
particular API is. For example (slightly stretched to illustrate my
point): for simple CGI, there's no point in learning the CGI module;
but if you're a jobbing CGI programmer, then you'd use it even for
the most trivial tasks. The size and scope of the CGI module is
intimidating to new users, but becomes second nature after a while.

> Great list.  Now if only there was something like CPAN for JavaScript.
I challenge you to write one in Javascript! It's a pain that the
execution environment is the browser itself.

The best way to shake that up would be to abstract the Javascript
engine from a browser (say, a Mozilla browser), and expose
functionality through a native browser API that the scripting engine
talks to. This way *other* scripting languages could be catered for.
To prevent the kind of brain damage that is Active X, the execution
environment would be sandboxed out of harm's way. Cookies, bookmarks,
and everything else browser-related would be handled inside this
sandbox.

Hm. We're here, and the original topic's way over there... sorry.

R.