[Tfug] Debian Firefox Youtube Slow

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Tue Oct 16 23:40:46 MST 2007

If I have about four or five, or so, tabs sequentially opened, in
Firefox, by Youtube, the videos start loading, not simultaneously, but
one after another, say over a period of one minute, and things quickly
become very slow.   And if I wait, and wait, and perhaps open another
tab, things get even slower to the point of alomost comepletely hanging
-even though most, if not all, tabs have had their videos completely
played, or deliberately paused (in an experimental and hypothetical
effort to "speed things up").  And even if all tabs have had their
videos completely played, this situation is not to be recovered from
lightly, but continues to drag on in some way.   "top" shows upto 90%+
firefox-bin, at times.  This doesn't happen, not even by a very small
fraction, in my Macbook (dualcore). What's going on??

house:~# uname -a
Linux house 2.6.18-4-486 #1 Wed May 9 22:23:40 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

I used to get a "Software Update Failed" after each opening of Firefox.
A window would first appear, with the words:

"One or more files could not be updated.  Please make sure all other
applications are closed and that you have permission to modify files,
and then restart Firefox to try again."

I Clicked [OK] (no other choice) and the browser would open.

If I remember correctly I intalled Firefox using a tarball, not using an
apt source.

I think I chmoded 777 -R /home/charles/.mozilla  and chowned charles -R
/usr/bin/firefox  (is this secure??)  and ls -l checked everything, and
in some other places (maybe), just to make sure things were very open
for updates.  And, after reboot, no longer got the "Software Update
Failure" notice.

But Firefox is definitely still acting very slow in YouTube, (and maybe
some other video storage sites -I'm not sure).  Sometime back, I also
got a return email indicating some spoofing (at best), and I've been at
some pretty bad sites.  Is this behavior normal?

My root and /home partitions are at least 20% free, with 1GB RAM, and at
least 1GB Swap (alot, I know).

Any ideas how I can fix this problem?

Charles