[Tfug] How I attacked my computer

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Sat Oct 6 09:26:09 MST 2007

-- rubinson at u.arizona.edu (Claude Rubinson) wrote:
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 06:14:22AM +0000, Earl wrote:

>> by going back to the original lines, I stopped the attack.

>Actually, FVWM is doing exactly what you asked it to.  Executing
firefox with an argument of "Nop" (which, by default, takes you to
http://www.nop.com).

>In FVWM the Nop token means "take no action," which is why you include
in the event section of the menu when you want to include a division
line.

I didn't think FVWM was at fault.  I now understand Nop and how menus work much better.  Unix is "What you say is what you get."  Intentions don't count.  Is this politically correct?

I talked to a few people interested in FVWM and thought this information might prove useful to them.  Am I denying them a "learning experience?"

It's embarrassing enough to have a browser hijacked in Linux ... more so to hijack my own.

Earl

"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal."
"The fates guide him who will, him who won't they drag" Spengler