[Tfug] How I attacked my computer

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Fri Oct 5 10:50:35 MST 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 06:14:22AM +0000, Earl wrote:
> The original menu section read:
>
> +          "Web &Browser"         Exec exec firefox
> +          ""                     Nop
>
> to remove the separation line in the menu, I changed the line to read:
>
> +          "Web &Browser"         Exec exec firefox     Nop
>
> by going back to the original lines, I stopped the attack.

Actually, FVWM is doing exactly what you asked it to.  Executing
firefox with an argument of "Nop" (which, by default, takes you to
http://www.nop.com).

In FVWM the Nop token means "take no action," which is why you include
in the event section of the menu when you want to include a division
line.

> If there's a point to this anecdote, it is "Linux isn't secure as
> long as there's a keyboard connected to the computer."

What's the old joke?  Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself
with, and then a few feet more to make sure.

Claude