[Tfug] BOFH: You think you know a guy...

Sean Warburton hl2addict at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 01:58:44 MST 2007

Speaking of old macs, there is a youtube of an Apple 2 (1987 computer)
versus an HP laptop with a core 2 duo and all the bells and whistles you
could want. The test was to boot up, open a text document and shut down. The
20 year old computer won:) Obviously, the new one has millions and millions
more lines of code to crunch, but still, Vista takes forever to load.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0cxbstn2IZM
     Sean

On 10/1/07, Jude Nelson <judecn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed.  I actually have a Mac LC III (Performa 450 designed for the
> classroom) with System 7.5.5, and it *sucks*.  It's nothing short of
> divine intervention that its cooperative multitasking environment
> doesn't wipe the system out every time it boots due to
> trivially-handled but fatal memory addressing errors (not that the OS
> even bothered to use the Motorola 68K's MMU or ringed execution model
> to *trigger* such events :P), and even more of a miracle that the Mac
> population wasn't wiped out in the '90s by hackers and viruses which
> could oh-so-easily exploit such a system.  Heh--prior to OS X, MS was
> actually a small step ahead of Apple in the OS design department for
> actually making use of the x86 MMU, virtual memory, and Protected/Real
> modes (even though they did it mostly in user-space, making errors as
> trivial as segmentation faults terminally fatal in the form of a
> BSOD).  The whole lot of consumer OS's of the 90s were a sad, sad
> joke.
>
> On 10/1/07, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:
> > At the time that BOFH piece was written (mid-to-late 1990s) the Mac had,
> > briefly, turned into a steaming pile of doo doo.
> >
> > Does anybody else remember the OS8.x period?  Esp. around 8.5x?  It was
> > -=bad=-, m'kay?  Much less stable than Windows 95/98.  No, I'm not
> kidding -
> > I supported both professionally back then.  Frequent Apple updates would
> > slaughter major apps - like, say, MS-Word.  Ordinary screensavers would
> turn
> > into Chernobyl material.  Bleah.
> >
> > Those were grim days, kids.
> >
> > There's a reason Apple basically scrapped their entire OS direction in
> favor
> > of *nix.  It took guts, esp. the part about abandoning more or less all
> > existing applications.  But by then the developer community was ready to
> > play along because it was just so obviously necessary.
> >
> > NOW, yeah, we might as well call OSX a "Linux distro" of sorts...OK,
> > FreeBSD, whatever.  It's pretty good, NOW.
> >
> > But there was a time when Apple almost died out over OS issues.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > On 10/1/07, William Stott <WStott at ventanamed.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Uhm, I own multiple Macs. I missed the rest of this thread, but I
> would
> > > just leave this for thought:
> > >
> > > If your primary purpose is only available in a Windows environment, it
> > > does not make sense to use anything else. It is painful to see a few
> of
> > the
> > > people at my work that ordered a Mac for the 'cool factor' only to put
> > > Parallels / Windows on their Mac and never use the OS X environment.
> > >
> > > On the other hand, if you plan on using a portable array of
> applications
> > > that run in a Mac OS X environment, then why not? Cost?  It's a
> decision
> > you
> [...]

PC-BSD v.1.4 (beta)
ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium