[Tfug] BOFH: You think you know a guy...

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 21:34:32 MST 2007

Indeed.  I actually have a Mac LC III (Performa 450 designed for the
classroom) with System 7.5.5, and it *sucks*.  It's nothing short of
divine intervention that its cooperative multitasking environment
doesn't wipe the system out every time it boots due to
trivially-handled but fatal memory addressing errors (not that the OS
even bothered to use the Motorola 68K's MMU or ringed execution model
to *trigger* such events :P), and even more of a miracle that the Mac
population wasn't wiped out in the '90s by hackers and viruses which
could oh-so-easily exploit such a system.  Heh--prior to OS X, MS was
actually a small step ahead of Apple in the OS design department for
actually making use of the x86 MMU, virtual memory, and Protected/Real
modes (even though they did it mostly in user-space, making errors as
trivial as segmentation faults terminally fatal in the form of a
BSOD).  The whole lot of consumer OS's of the 90s were a sad, sad
joke.