[Tfug] Simple serial comm with a device

Joe Blais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Tue May 29 08:52:03 MST 2007

> > I forgot.
>
> We *all* forget!  :-)
>
> > Anyway, does anyone do that, redirect one of the
> > regular terminal's input to a serial device?
>
> Are you looking for tip(1)?  Or, do you need to plumb
> an application's stdin/stdout to a particular tty?
>
> --don

3 days ago!  what was I looking for?-)

Well - we're putting together a small thing to read a barcode scanner, so I
was looking for a quick way to just read/write to the scanner manually, just
to be sure we have wires, baud, and junk working right.  I wrote a small
winders tester, so I know most of the stuff is working, but when I reboot to
Linux I was just wanting something to give a warm - fuzzy that things were
still working.

I can pipe or cat things over line by line, but I just have some
recollection of redirecting a virtual terminal to a port - perhaps it was a
dream (nightmare).

Joe