[Tfug] Linux+ASUS?

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Mon May 28 18:45:38 MST 2007

I have ASUS mb, but it's old, and I don't run Linux, so I can't tell you
about the
drivers. I do have a co worker who told me that after the mess with Vista
not
accepting unsigned drivers, some of the manufacturers started making
drivers Linux. I did a quick google search for this, and I wasn't able to
come
up with any of them, so as of now I guess it's just hear-say. But here is a
link
to an in depth article that addresses the signed driver issue with Vista.

www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

When I was did the search for it though, the site seemed to be unreachable,
so you might have to read google's cached copy of it by doing a search for

'Cost analysis vista'

~ Cheers

On 5/28/07, Sean Warburton <hl2addict at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have an ASUS motherboard? If so, did it come with Linux
> drivers?
> I recently (3-4 months ago) got a new SLI motherboard (The P5N32-SLI
> Premium
> WiFi-AP edition), and it had Linux drivers for everything (RAID, SLI,
> audio,
> chipset, WiFi, etc.). ASUS must have done this recently, because about a
> year ago I got the ASUS P5WD2-E Premium mobo so I could play around with
> crossfire. That CD didn't have anything except for 32 and 64 bit XP
> drivers. Perhaps open source is really making some headway out there. In
> fact, I recall a Maximum PC (or some gaming PC magazine) telling its
> readers
> to NOT go get Vista, and instead had instructions for a basic install of
> Ubuntu (because it was the best Linux port out there for noobs). Don't get
> me wrong; I respect commisar Gates for starting a business that eventually
> started taking over the world, but it will take more than a flashy
> interface
> and how many millions of extra lines of code (I heard numbers from 50-200
> million) ON TOP Of XP to impress me. XP still has bugs in it. But I
> digress. it's just interesting that ASUS would ship thier motherboards
> with
> linux drivers...
>
> --
> Windows Vista Ultimate beta (build 5600)
> Ubuntu 6.10 (dual boot)
> ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium
> Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
> dual eVGA 7900 GT OCs (full x16 SLI)
> 1 gig DDR2 PC2-6400 (OCd to 866MHz)
> 250 gig RAID 1 (mirroring)
> custom Liquid cooling :)
> four 17" CRTs (uber widescreen)
> 7.1 surround sound (296 watts)
> one happy gamer

Q: What did the zen buddhist say to the hotdog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything ~ Dr. Jonathan Katz